List of things to bring on a Washington Trails Association Volunteer Vacation
WTA can provide tents and sleeping pads for volunteers on trips, as requested. (If you bring your own, please make sure it's not larger than a 2-3 person tent due to space restrictions at the campsite).
- Multiple 2-layer face masks or face coverings
- Two to three 1-liter water bottles (your crew leader will specify based on your trip location)
- At least two pairs of work gloves
- Your WTA-issued hard hat if you are a returning volunteer. WTA will provide one for new volunteers.
- Long pants for work (leggings are not appropriate for trail work)
- Spare clothes for leisure hours (something to swim in, shorts, hats, sneakers or sandals for camp)
- Water shoes for stream crossing and/or swimming (we require that all volunteers wear protective shoes with a heel-strap, like sandals or crocs, while swimming)
- Towel (and/or beach towel for swimming)
- Good hiking/work boots – well broken in.
- Rain jacket and pants (preferably heavy-duty that can fit over top of your work clothes)
- Tent with rain fly and ground cloth
- Sleeping bag and sleeping pad
- Head lamp or flash light + extra batteries
- A watch if you have one
- Dry warm clothes (preferably fleece or wool)
- Any special dietary stuff/medication and/or vitamins
- Personal hygiene items (toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, toiletries, moleskin for blisters, etc)
- Insect repellent and optional mosquito netting hat (can find at Army Navy Surplus or Outdoor Research and they fit nicely over hardhats)
- Sunscreen + sun hat + sunglasses
- Day-use backpack to carry lunch, water, gloves and other personal items to work site
- Bandana or handkerchief
- Long sleeve shirt for working in (bonus: doubles as sun/bug protection!)
- Safety glasses
- Book, cards, frisbee, games or other entertainment items for yourself or to share with others
- Camp chair and/or sit pad
Do NOT Bring:
Electronics! (This includes music players, cell phones, and portable game systems)
Crew leaders will have cell phones/radios in case of emergency.
Be sure to inspect your gear four weeks prior so you have time to make any replacements if needed